This piece intends to tell you how to make zongzi step by step. We will start to introduce the Chinese sticky rice dumpling culture firstly, then tell you how to choose materials and DIY zongzi.
China zongzi Culture.
Zongzi is the Dragon Boat Festival food. The custom of eating zongzi has prevailed in China for thousands of years. Zongzi, as one of the traditional food with the deepest accumulation in Chinese history and culture, has spread far and wide, spreading to North Korea, Japan and Southeast Asian countries.
There are many types of zongzi, and different regions have different zongzi cultures. From the perspective of the fillings, there are many Beijing jujube zongzi in the north; In the south, there are many fillings such as mung beans, pork belly, red bean paste, eight treasures, ham, mushrooms and egg yolks. Beijing Zongzi is the representative of the North, most of which are glutinous zongzi, and the South is represented by Guangdong. Generally, there are salted meat zongzi, water zongzi and bean paste zongzi.
The shape of zongzi is also different in different regions. Generally, there are various shapes such as regular triangle, regular tetragon, pointed triangle, square, long and so on.
In “A bite of China”, Jiaxing Zongzi is recorded. Jiaxing Zongzi is a traditional famous spot in Jiaxing, Zhejiang. It is famous for being glutinous but not sticky, fat but not greasy, fragrant and delicious, moderately salty and sweet. Especially the fresh meat dumplings are the most famous, known as the “king of zongzi”. Jiaxing zongzi is popular among tourists because of their delicious taste, convenient carrying and eating, and are known as “Oriental Fast Food”.
Wufangzhai Zongzi is known as the “Jiangnan Zongzi King” and is famous for being glutinous but not rotten, fat but not greasy, tender and fragrant, and moderately salty and sweet. Jiaxing Wufangzhai Zongzi has dozens of colorful varieties such as meat zongzi, bean paste, and egg yolks.
Below we introduce the red bean zongzi method:
The red bean rice zongzi most commonly eaten when I was young, rice fragrant, bean fragrant, zongye fragrant,
The taste of true colors is also the most missed taste.
Materials of Chinese zongzi
Glutinous rice: 600 grams
Red beans: 300 grams
Fresh zong leaves: 50 sheets
Cotton thread: some
How to make red bean zongzi:
1. Preparation: soak the red beans in cold water for more than 8 hours in advance, soak the glutinous rice for 4 hours in advance (if you like a firmer texture, the glutinous rice may not soak), and then mix them together for later use (the red beans must be fully soaked to make it easier cooked).
2. Soak the zong leaves in advance and brush them clean, and cut the cotton thread to the length required for dressing.
3. Bao Zongzi: The zongzi leaves are rolled up into a funnel shape.
4. Fill in glutinous rice and red beans, press down the top of the zong leaves, press the stuffing in the funnel tightly, and cover both sides of the zong leaves in the funnel.
Fold them down separately and tie them tightly with cotton thread.
5. Boil Zongzi: Put the wrapped zongzi after the water is boiled. The water should soak the rice dumplings. When the water is boiled again, cook for more than 2-3 hours and simmer for a while until cooked ( I use electricity ) For the pressure cooker, it is also boiled under boiling water. It takes about 45 minutes, and it will be simmered for a while). The cooking time should be adjusted according to the overall amount and the utensils used.
6. The cooked zongzi can be eaten with sugar or honey.